The Portsmouth Public School system offers many Adult Education programs and services. These classes are designed for students who are eighteen years of age or older and not currently enrolled in school. The various programs and services include the following:
- Adult Basic Education - This is a federally funded program that is designed to offer educational services to adults who are in need of basic educational skills. Classes are offered that range from beginning reading skills for non-readers to classes that prepare students to take the General Educational Development (GED) examination. These classes are offered free of charge, and materials are also provided for students at no cost. Classes are held throughout the city at churches, schools, community centers, and other locations.
- General Education Development (GED) - Free classes are offered to assist students in preparing for taking the GED examination. These classes are taught in the daytime as well as evening.
- Adult High School - This program provides adults with the opportunity to earn credits toward a high school diploma. These classes are held at Woodrow Wilson High School through the EXCEL Campus program. There is a tuition charge for these classes, as well as a textbook rental fee.
- Special Interest Courses - A variety of special interest courses are offered in the evening through the EXCEL Campus program. The course offerings vary from semester to semester, but generally include classes such as Sign Language, Water Colors, Drawing, Medical Terminology, etc.
- Computer Classes - A number of computer classes are offered at the Stephen H. Clarke Adult Learning Center. These classes are generally short-term and low-cost.
- GED Testing - The official GED Testing Center for the city of Portsmouth is located at the Stephen H. Clarke Adult Learning Center. Individuals who wish to take the GED examination are required to register at this location. The test is given each week on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. The test is also given on Monday and Wednesday evenings once a month. The fee for taking the GED examination is $58.00.
For more information about adult education programs, please call us at (757)393-8822.
The Department of Adult Education seeks to instill a desire and appreciation for lifelong learning for all adults in the city of Portsmouth. Our department provides many varied opportunities for adults to participate in classes and programs that will meet their needs for continuing education.
We believe that education is a lifelong endeavor.
We believe that everyone, regardless of age, can continue to learn and grow.
We believe that all adults can reach their full potential through participation in high-quality educational programs.